This simple recipe for Mediterranean Dinosaur Kale Salad combines the flavors of the Mediterranean with the super food power of kale. I am a big fan of Dinosaur kale and we eat it at least twice a week at our home. It’s such a simple pure ingredient, easy to prepare and has so many great health benefits. Kale has been called a nutritional power house for a reason. It’s high in vitamins (K, C and A), packed with powerful antioxidants and a powerful anti-inflammatory food and there’s so much more. Read more on the health benefits of kale here. I cannot get enough of creating new recipes with kale. This Mediterranean Dinosaur Kale Salad is my new favorite. Enjoy!
- 8 large leaves of dinosaur kale, stemmed and finely sliced
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes, finely cut
- 1 avocado, peeled and cut in bite-size chunks
- 1 red onion, minced
- 1 cup baby tomatoes, quartered
- ¼ cup of pine nuts, toasted
- ¼ cup small Kalamata olives
Basil Pesto Dressing
- 2 cups fresh basil
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp walnuts
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 2 tbsp cashew nuts
- 1-2 garlic cloves, peeled
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. In a big salad bowl combine all salad ingredients, except for the avocodo and baby tomatoes.
2. Combine all pesto ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
3. Add the pesto to the salad, mix well using your hands to massage the kale. Let stand for 10 minutes.
4. Mix in the avocado and baby tomatoes.
5. Serve with toasted pine nuts.