This high-protein Health Nut Smoothie Bowl with banana, almond butter and protein powder is a great breakfast to start your day. It’s also a great post-workout recovery meal. I recently enjoyed a similar version for breakfast at Nü (New) Health Food Café in Sea Point, Capetown. I loved it so much that I have tried to recreate it at home with a few twists of my own. The taste reminds me of the thick and creamy cake batter my mum just to make when I was a kid. She would allow me to lick out the bowl. While I was making my smoothie, I noticed I was doing just doing just that with my blender. I was scraping every single little bit out of my blender, because I loved it so much. I like to make my Health Nut Smoothie Bowl extra thick, but you can always add more water, if desired. You can add any topping you like. I like to load mine with fresh fruit like blueberries, figs, pomegranate or raspberries and high-protein superfoods like chia, hemp and puffed amaranth. Add anything you like, that’s the best part of making your own smoothie bowl!
- 2 small (frozen) bananas
- 4 tbsp white almond butter
- 1 scoop (or 5 tbsp) of vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 tbsp raw honey (optional)
- 3/4-1 cup of water
- fresh blueberries
- hemp seeds
- chia seeds
- glutenfree-free granola
- Blend all smoothie ingredients in a high-speed blender. Scrape blender as required.
- Add more water if required. I like my smoothie thick and creamy but you can always add more water, if desired.
- Add smoothie ingredients to a breakfast bowl.
- Top with your favorite toppings above and enjoy your Health Nut Smoothie Bowl!